That sounds like what I would have expected was happening (we only run
upgrade steps if we think they have a reason to change things, and then
only set the last known version once all the upgrade steps have finished.)

I'm concerned about the "if there is a mongo problem", because if we're
running into problems for things we think are idempotent, then we might
have a genuine problem with them.

John
=:->