I like feature flags so am +1 to the overall proposal. I also agree with the
approach to keep them immutable, given the stated goals and complexity
associated with making them not so.

I think the env variable implementation is ok too - this keeps everything very
loosely coupled and avoids polluting a juju environment with an extra config
attribute.