On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Menno Smits <menno.sm...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> There seems to be some confusion as to how merges gets blocked and
> unblocked. Specifically:
>
> 1. How do merges get blocked?

Juju-core bugs with the following criteria will block merges:
    a. status: 'Triaged', 'In Progress' or 'Fix Committed'
    b. importance: 'Critical'
    c. tags: 'regression' and 'ci'

2. Who/what decides to unblock merges?
The Jenkins github-merge-juju job (
http://juju-ci.vapour.ws:8080/job/github-merge-juju) is configured to call
the check_blockers.py script, maintained by the Juju-QA team.
check_blockers.py queries Launchpad for bugs with the above criteria.

master example:
https://api.launchpad.net/devel/juju-core?ws.op=searchTasks&status%3Alist=Triaged&status%3Alist=In+Progress&status%3Alist=Fix+Committed&importance%3Alist=Critical&tags%3Alist=regression&tags%3Alist=ci&tags_combinator=All

1.20 example:
https://api.launchpad.net/devel/juju-core/1.20?ws.op=searchTasks&status%3Alist=Triaged&status%3Alist=In+Progress&status%3Alist=Fix+Committed&importance%3Alist=Critical&tags%3Alist=regression&tags%3Alist=ci&tags_combinator=All
Most often the Juju QA team will open these bugs and set the tags, when a
test failure demonstrates a regression.

If the pull request body includes "fixes-<BUG NUMBER>, where BUG NUMBER is
in the blocking list, the merge will go through.

> 3. How do merges get unblocked?

Merges are unblocked when no bugs are returned with the above criteria. The
bugs should be updated only after the committed fix has successfully passed
the CI tests which discovered the regression. This will most often mean
setting the status to 'Fix Released' when the solution involves code
changes or removing the regression and/or CI tag, if the issue is
discovered to be a test or CI issue.

> 4, If the unblock process involves manual steps, whose responsibility is
> it to perform those steps?

The person or team that marked the bug as a regression is responsible for
updating the bug, once they are satisfied with the fix. Most often this
will be the Juju-QA team but if others discover a regression they too
should have the power to block merges.