Hi all,

Ian asked me to mail the list about a couple of bugs that managed to get
past the bot; first so that we can all be mindful of these sorts of bugs,
and second to highlight the fact that they could have been caught by the
bot.

The bugs were fixed in this branch: https://github.com/juju/juju/pull/1738
 - random. iteration Map is
 - invalid printf-style formatting will cause "go vet" to fail

The bot is currently running (I think) Go 1.2. I'm running 1.4, Ian's
running 1.3, and I'm sure Dave's running tip ;)  Go 1.3+ made map iteration
less deterministic, so these sorts of bugs are much more likely to occur
after 1.2. It'd be good to either bump the compiler version to something
more recent, unless we want to gate things on multiple compilers (maybe gc
and gccgo, seeing as we currently use both).

As for formatting: there is a pre-push hook that runs "go vet" to catch,
amongst other things, printf formatting errors. It would seem that the bot
is not currently failing these, as they occasionally end up in master. If
you're not using the hook, please be extra careful; this slows people down.
If you want to set up the hook, you can find instructions under
https://github.com/juju/juju/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#local-clone.

Thanks,
Andrew