Copying to juju-dev as this info is generally useful.

Hey

Thanks for the feedback.

The status YAML output will *always* be available, but when Juju 2.0 ships, will
no longer be the default. That will be tabular which is much more human
readable.

So as of Juju 2.0, whenever that ships, instead of

"juju status"

you type

"juju status --format yaml"

To aide people to transition their scripts before hand, you can enable the 2.0
CLI behaviour early:

export JUJU_CLI_VERSION=2
juju status

The 2.0 compatibility feature as of now just applies to status but we may adapt
other commands to use it also as needed. The whole idea here is to retain
backwards compatibility but allow improved features to be exposed to those folks
who want to use them early.

Note: even in the current Juju, with status you can start transitioning scripts.
The "--format yaml" option works the same now as it will in 2.0

As well as the default format change, status in Juju 2.0 will omit the legacy
status in favour of just printing the new improved workload and agent status. So
I'd encourage using the 2.0 status output now to get the best benefit, assuming
you have tweaked any scripts accordingly.