Machines, services and units all now support recording status history. Two
issues have come up:

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1530840

For units, especially in steady state, status history is spammed with
update-status hook invocations which can obscure the hooks we really care about

2. https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1557918

We now have the concept of recording a machine provisioning status. This is
great because it gives observability to what is happening as a node is being
allocated in the cloud. With LXD, this feature has been used to give visibility
to progress of the image downloads (finally, yay). But what happens is that the
machine status history gets filled with lots of "Downloading x%" type messages.

We have a pruner which caps the history to 100 entries per entity. But we need a
way to deal with the spam, and what is displayed when the user asks for juju
status-history.

Options to solve bug 1

A.
Filter out duplicate status entries when presenting to the user. eg say
"update-status (x43)". This still allows the circular buffer for that entity to
fill with "spam" though. We could make the circular buffer size much larger. But
there's still the issue of UX where a user ask for the X most recent entries.
What do we give them? The X most recent de-duped entries?

B.
If the we go to record history and the current previous entry is the same as
what we are about to record, just update the timestamp. For update status, my
view is we don't really care how many times the hook was run, but rather when
was the last time it ran.

Options to solve bug 2

A.
Allow a flag when setting status to say "this status value is transient" and so
it is recorded in status but not logged in history.

B.
Do not record machine provisioning status in history. It could be argued this
info is more or less transient and once the machine comes up, we don't care so
much about it anymore. It was introduced to give observability to machine
allocation.

Any other options?
Opinions on preferred solutions?

I really want to get this fixed before Juju 2.0