How do we get the tools on the new controller? Since we did a fresh
bootstrap it won't have the old tools cached. Is part of the pre-flight
migration  checks ensuring that the new controller can get the right
version of tools? How does it work if someone used --upload-tools on the
old host? Is there a "migrate and upgrade" mechanism so you can make
forward progress?

John
=:->
On Apr 26, 2016 06:48, "Tim Penhey" <tim.pen...@canonical.com> wrote:

On 26/04/16 14:06, Rick Harding wrote:
> The key thing is that soon our path on upgrading models is via model
> migration. We should keep that in mind as we think of how best to lead
> the user to 'just do the right thing'

Yes and No.

A hosted model will never be allowed to upgrade beyond the controller
that it is running on.

Due to the high potential risk of upgrading the controller and
potentially breaking multiple deployed models, migration is the intended
process to ALLOW upgrades.

The migration of a model from one controller to another will not upgrade
the hosted model itself.

Consider this scenario:

Controller-1 has 20 hosted models. The controller and the models are
running Juju 2.2.0.

The new hotness of Juju 2.3 has been released and has many new bells and
whistles.

In order for the hosted environments to upgrade to Juju 2.3, they must
be on a controller running Juju 2.3. Since we don't want to upgrade
controller-1, we bootstrap a new controller, "controller-2" with Juju 2.3.

We can then migration the models from controller-1 to controller-2 on an
as needed basis. The models, once on controller-2 will hopefully then
inform the users of that model (through status) that an upgrade is
possible. The users can then upgrade the model at their leisure.

Tim