Thanks for the insights here. I ended up reverting the offending change,
https://github.com/juju/utils/pull/203. @bogdanteleaga, my apologies for
reverting, but I'm not sure how to fix with your change so I went back to
something that worked. It's worth following up and figuring out how to
re-land it.