On 16/08/16 03:09, Nate Finch wrote:
> Ian, can you describe how Juju decides if it's running for a developer or
> an end user?  I'm worried this could trip people up who are both end users
> and happen to have a juju development environment.

It's not so much Juju deciding - the use cases given were from the point of view
of a developer or end user.

Juju will decide that it can automatically fallback to try to find and use a
local jujud (so long as the version of the jujud found matches that of the Juju
client being used to bootstrap or upgrade) if:

- the Juju client version is newer than the agents running
- the client or agents have a build number > 0

(the build number is 0 for released Juju agents but non zero when jujud is used
or built locally from source).

The above behaviour covers the use cases previously described:

- users always deploys / upgrades released versions
- users deploy a released version and want to upgrade to a version built from
source for testing
- users deploy from source and want to hack some more and upgrade for testing
- users have a deployed from source system and then a newer released agent comes
out and they want to upgrade to that *

*generally we don't support upgrades between non-released versions, so if
there's db schema changes or whatever, you're on your own

In all the above cases, juju bootstrap or juju upgrade-juju will work without
special arguments.