Hi James

What's the use case your using them for? Elastic IPs in aws are a very
limited commodity you get like 5 per region per account by default. IMO
it's generally not a recommended practice to depend on them as effectively
they represent public endpoints mapping to a single instance in aws. Using
elb or r53 is typically better for scale out. Note eips are distinct from
Enis re multiple private addresses and nats re shadow ips.

Ps. My wishlist for juju and aws would be to support non static credentials
per best practices.
On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 5:18 AM Mark Shuttleworth <m...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

On 05/11/16 17:42, James Beedy wrote:
> How does everyone few about extending the AWS provider to support elastic
ips?

> Capability to attach eips using juju would alleviate one more manual step
I have to preform from the aws console every time I spin up an instance.

> I have created a feature request here ->
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1639459

Yes, this would be excellent. Conceptually at least, in Juju, we have a
place for "the internet" as a dedicated Network (networks are
collections of spaces) and for "shadow-ip addresses" (which are
addresses on one network that tunnel to addresses on another network).
These concepts give us elastic IPs very naturally, but they also are
important for cross-model relations in the private cloud, and I think we
should map out and implement this carefully as one coherent hybrid cloud
operations story.

Mark