On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 11:18 AM Nate Finch <nate.fi...@canonical.com> wrote:

> I generally assume that "hard to type" doesn't apply when you're talking
> about someone's native language.  Yes, you or I would have trouble
> typing 數據庫 (database), but to someone in China, that's probably a word they
> type all the time.  Forcing people to use an English translation for the
> name of their software is not very welcoming in this day and age.

Realistically, alpha-numerics are the most accessible character base today.
Unicode domains, the global index of ip addresses, just recently added
unicode support. If you have a charm in the store named 數據庫, only those
with keyboards that support those characters will work (without a lot of
time fumbling unicode libraries). My point was more this, for accessibility
I think the middle ground is:

juju deploy mysql 數據庫

You're taking a named product, which is a flat - alpha numerical - charm
name that everyone can type and access, and deploying it in Juju as a name
pertinent to you.

I'm sure this adds more complexities to core, in general, but it's the only
place I could imagine unicode working well, even then it's a bit of a
stretch weighing the pros and cons for the amount of work needed to support
unicode throughout Juju as an application name.

Marco