Jay,

I think you're touching on some important topics. Tuning and optimizing
charm installation without fetching tons of extra packages around an
install is certainly something I'm very open to experimentation with.

This particular merge makes me suggest we run this through the gauntlet of
testing scenarios - as if we merge this as is it effects the default
expected behavior of the apt_install, with > 200 charms in the store - and
im' going to venture to guess ~ 40% of those are python and charm-helpers
based charms. This means a very expensive test would follow to ensure we
don't break whats in the wild. If you were to refactor this to make that a
parameter on apt_install, and leave the default behavior as is - I would be
more confident in making the merge happen.

All the best,

Charles