José,

That's a good point that we definitely need recommended best practices
for writing charm tests.  I am also behind using the built-in
unittest[1] library to organize and structure the tests.   I am also
behind encouraging combining tests inside test cases where possible,
with the caveat that we frame the recommendation with explicitly
calling out the tear-down behavior and explaining why it is
recommended to combine test cases, since there will be cases where
that is not the best approach because a new environment is required
(even though it will be the right thing to do most of the time).

I think we should also include a call-out to the template test
provided by `charm add tests` (or `charm create`) as the best way to
get started, as it also incorporates these practices.  However, we
should note about changing the name of the generated test case file
away from 99-autogen.

Thanks for bringing this up and offering these good suggestions.