Hi all -

* Sorry for the cross-post on openstack-installer, but I think this is more
of a juju question than an openstack-installer issue*

As I originally deployed my current test setup via openstack-installer, I
am wondering how I am supposed to use it and/or juju directly for future
changes/additions.

I am trying to understand neutron networking, investigating all of the OVS
and Linux bridges, how traffic flows between them and the network node etc.
In my initial deployment I co-located a compute node and the network node
on bare metal via manual placement in openstack-installer.

Now, in order to better see the separation of stuff (i.e. not conflate what
the compute node is doing with the network node) I decided to `juju
remove-service quantum-gateway` followed by a `juju add-service
quantum-gateway —to lxc:3` in order to remove it from the original node and
install it into its own container on the controller node that hosts lots of
container-based services.

I have received lots of errors in the process during which various hooks
get stuck. I have been able to get around it by manually killing hooks and
then issuing a `juju resolved quantum-gateway` until finally the service
goes away. Not to mention the fact that a new deployment seems to be in a
“blocked” state saying I should upgrade to neutron-gateway. I tried that
with similar results.

At this point I managed to get rid of everything — i.e. I do not have a
quantum-gateway or a neutron-gateway as reported by juju.

However, I have noticed that the original server (colocated compute and
quantum-gateway) still has all of the neutron services running. Issuing a
`neutron agent-list` shows everything connected and happy as it ever was.
It seems as though my juju fiddling has basically been just manipulating
the juju database without actually removing the underlying services. I have
noticed that when removing services on an lxc container it does indeed kill
the container (so obviously the service too)… however, maybe because this
original service was deployed on bare metal with another service, it
doesn’t bother to actually stop the services and remove their /etc/init
files?

I have tried to redeploy via openstack-status, but it seems like it is
useless for future deployment even though it has that nice curses-looking
GUI from which I can deploy. It’s understanding of where everything is
placed is completely broken, and it does not seem to honor any requests to
place stuff in the first place.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff