I think this is more of a discusion on if you got 'what' you wanted or if you got it from 'where' you wanted. Even if you used SFTP, the file could've changed, and if it doesn't have a SHA1SUM it could result in unexpected charm breakage.

If it were me, I would always implement SHA1SUMS, just to make sure that the file is, in fact, what I wanted. It would make it easier to debug and fix later down the road.