The lxd cloud works on Juju 2.0 beta1 out of the box.

$ juju bootstrap mycontroller lxd

There is no need to edit any clouds.yaml. It Just Works.

It seems the confusion comes from not seeing lxd in the output of juju
list-clouds. list-clouds ostensibly shows available public clouds (aws, azure
etc) and any private clouds (maas, openstack etc) added by the user. The lxd
cloud is just built-in to Juju. But from a usability perspective, it's seems we
should include lxd in the output of list-clouds.

NOTE: the latest lxd 2.0.0 beta3 release recently added to the archives has an
api change that is not compatible with Juju. You will need to ensure that you're
still using the lxd 2.0.0 beta2 release to test with Juju.