Okay so here's one I wanted to know if it made sense to people or not now
there are layers, interfaces etc.

Take Saiku or any other WAR based webapp. Currently our app is a Tomcat
subordinate, which installs the WAR and a few other directories and just
sed-s a few files to set some variables.

In this land of layers and interfaces, does it make sense to have a webapp
interface? I realise most of the current interfaces are for services and
not file archives, but, if I deploy Tomcat, Wildfly, Karaf I know that
(with a bit of tweaking) I can deploy a war to each of those and they
should behave pretty much the same. So does it make sense to have an
interface that lets me charm up my WAR file and then add a relation from
WAR <-> J2EE Container so I can just link them together and have Juju place
my WAR in the correct location?

That way you can deploy on multiple services without having to do much, if
anything, to your code.

Cheers

Tom