On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM, roger peppe <roger.pe...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> If the released Juju 2.0 uses v5 of the charmstore API (which it will
> soon hopefully anyway when my branch to support the new publishing
> model lands), then there's a straightforward solution here, I think:
> change v4 of the charmstore API to refuse to serve min-juju-version
> charm archives to clients. Since the only v4-using clients should be
> old juju versions, this could provide a reasonably cheap to implement
> and straightforward solution to the problem.

To re-confirm:  Would that be *"don't serve up a charm for 1.25.x clients
when min-juju-verison is defined at all"* -or- *"cleverly interpret the
min-juju-version server-side and selectively refuse to deliver the charm
when client version is less than the min version?"*

If the former, OpenStack charms may have to defer utilization of
min-juju-version until such time as 1.x is fully deprecated (or fork 27+
charms and maintain two separate sets of charms, which is naturally not our
desire).

If the latter, brilliant!  :)

Rationale and use case:
A single Keystone charm supports deployment (thereby enabling continued CI
& testing) of Precise, Trusty, Wily, Xenial and onward.  It is planned to
have a min-juju-version value of 1.25.x.  That charm will support >=
1.25.x, including 2.x, and is slated to release with 16.04.  This is
representative of all of the OpenStack charms.

Note:  I've raised a feature request bug against charm tools for
min-juju-version proof recognition.  We'll need to have that in place
before we can add min-juju-version metadata into the OpenStack charms as
our CI gate proofs every charm change request.

Thanks again!