Hey Merlijn

I've not scaled up to 200GB but we did do a 20-30GB HDFS test with adequate
performance and load being spread over drill bits. I guys on the drill
mailing list are pretty good at resolving performance issues though so you
should certainly chat to them, and with backing from the new Drill startup,
MapR tech, Dell and a bunch of other firms, there is a decent amount of
development resource on the platform to getting stuff fixed.

That said, I'm sure there are other solutions that run faster, Impala etc,
also I come from an OLAP background which is why I hooked up with the Kylin
guys as that would give you an alternative entry point.

Another reason for drill is the data federation and non hadoop support, for
example I could spin up HDFS, Mongo, and MySQL and have drill hook up to
all 3 of them at the same time and do:

select * from HDFS.mytable a,MONGODB.mytable b,MySQL.mytable c where a.c1 =
b.c1, b.c2=c.c1

and have it return a nice federated query, which is pretty powerful.

Of course with all this tech YMMV, but personally I've had decent results
with it.

Tom

Director Meteorite.bi - Saiku Analytics Founder
Tel: +44(0)5603641316

(Thanks to the Saiku community we reached our Kickstart
<http://kickstarter.com/projects/2117053714/saiku-reporting-interactive-report-designer/>
goal, but you can always help by sponsoring the project
<http://www.meteorite.bi/products/saiku/sponsorship>)