Hey everyone,

An issue was identified late yesterday for those deploying Xenial charms to
either the LXD provider or LXD instances in a cloud.

The symptoms for this manifest as the LXD machine running is in a running
state (and has an IP address assigned) but the agent does not start. This
leaves the workload permanently stuck in a "Waiting for agent to
initialize" state. This problem originates from a problem in cloud-init and
systemd, being triggered by an update to the snapd package for xenial.

Thanks to James Beedy, from the community, for posting this workaround
which appears to be working consistently for the moment:

juju set-model-config enable-os-refresh-update=false
juju set-model-config enable-os-upgrade=false

This should bypass the section of the cloud-init process that's causing the
hang at the moment. For those interested in tracking the bugs I believe
these are the two related ones for this problem:

- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snapd/+bug/1621229
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-init/+bug/1576692

I'll make sure to post an update when this has been resolved.

Thanks,
Marco Ceppi