Dear Mark,

Thank you! I agree that deploying Giraph easily can be extremely
beneficial for researchers and software engineers as it will enable
them to focus on developing algorithms instead of wasting time to
set-up their infrastructure. And I believe that Giraph is more capable
of handling production-scale workloads than Spark's GraphX (I am not
the only one:
https://code.facebook.com/posts/319004238457019/a-comparison-of-state-of-the-art-graph-processing-systems/
) so it is a very nice addition to juju solutions.

I am relatively new with juju so I am not really sure how to answer
your question. I understand that there is a trade-off between ease of
use and efficiency, right? Now, the giraph charm heavily depends on
the hadoop-processing bundle. Therefore, I think that such a paper
would make sense if one could show that this trade-off is good, i.e.,
if the hadoop-processing bundle is efficient. Is it? If so, giraph
could serve the purpose of providing interesting use-cases and I think
it would be interesting to give it a go. I hope this makes sense :)

Other than that, I think that it would be very interesting if you guys
organized a tutorial that you could give in computer science
conferences. For example, I attended the following tutorial a few
months ago:
http://cikm2016-sparktutorial.droppages.com/
It attracted a large audience, and a lot of the attendees had come
prepared (they had installed what was needed to get a hands-on
experience). If they did a tutorial for Spark why not doing one for
Juju as well? I have watched two talks about juju and I've seen people
stand amazed when realizing how easy and intuitive it is to handle
complex deployments with it. With so many charms I am sure that there
are plenty of things to showcase, and doing it in a tutorial instead
of a talk, would result in increased user engagement.

--Panagiotis