Are these 3 LXD containers on one machine, or 3 different host machines
where you want to run LXD containers?

At present we don't support scheduling across LXD hosts, so the easier way
would probably be to treat 3 host machines as separate 'manually
provisioned' machines, and then deploy to containers on those machines.
Which would be more:

 $ juju bootstrap manual/HOST1
 $ juju switch controller
 $ juju add-machine ssh:HOST2 # shows up as machine 1
 $ juju add-machine ssh:HOST3 # shows up as machine 2
 $ juju enable-ha -n3 --to 1,2

At which point you should be able to do things like:
 $ juju deploy APP --to lxd:0
 $ juju add-unit APP --to lxd:1
etc.

Juju itself doesn't have a way to decide to schedule to machine 0 vs 1 vs
2, which is why you have to do manual scheduling (deploy this application
to a container on this specific machine).

LXD provider (vs manual provider deploying into containers) is a bit
different, but would only support a single host machine.

I believe there is ongoing work in LXD itself to support clustering host
machines and do simple scheduling across them. But I don't think that work
is quite at the point where you could just point Juju at an LXD cluster and
have it all 'JustWork'.

John
=:->