The series is defined in the metadata.yaml. Charms now support a list of
series and the preference for the charm is determined by the order in the
list.

Before the support for one charm to support multiple series at once, users
had to publish them directly to a specific series which is why you're not
seeing it in the older charms.

You can force a deploy to a series at deploy time. To quote juju deploy
--help

If '--series' is not specified, the charm's default series is used. The
default
series for a charm is the first one specified in the charm metadata. If the
specified series is not supported by the charm, this results in an error,
unless '--force' is used.

If you want to see if the charm will work on the latest series try using
that --force option.