On 28 September 2017 at 10:09, Michael Van Der Beek
<michael....@antlabs.com> wrote:
> Hi Stuart,
>
> Thanks for your insight. Greatly appreciate it.
>
> Last thing, when you said " I'm generally deploying charms to bare metal and
> using local disk",
> Does that mean you manually install a machine with Ubuntu, then in juju
> add-machine ssh:user@<machine ip>
> Then juju deploy --to <machine #> ?

Manually installing a machine with Ubuntu would work, but we provision
the machine with MAAS. We then add it to an OpenStack Juju model using
'juju add-machine' as you suggest (the 'manual provider'). This lets
us mix OpenStack VMs and bare metal in the same model. The downside is
we have to handle network issues and firewall rules to the bare metal
units ourselves. I expect we will change to using cross model
relations when they are available between clouds, so we use a MAAS
model for the bare metal units and connect them to OpenStack units in
an OpenStack model. Ideally we could mix and match units from
different cloud providers in the same model, but I believe that is a
long way off.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bis...@canonical.com>