On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM Serge E. Hallyn <se...@hallyn.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've inherited a few vsphere machines where I was hoping to use juju
> to fire off openstack etc.  I've been trying to use the vsphere
> provider (which I was excited to see existed), but am seeing a few
> inconsistencies, so had a few questions.
>
> The first blunt question - is this going to be a maintained driver,
> or am I in 6 months likely to find the vsphere driver dropped?

We are actively working on making the vsphere provider to be a great
experience in the Juju 2.3 release. There's some more work to be done for
mirroring VMDKs from cloud-images, but otherwise I think everything's
working well now.

I don't have any reason to believe that we would drop the provider, or to
reduce focus on quality. People seem to want it :)

The second is motivating the first - when I looked at
> https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.1/help-vmware it says hardware version
> 8 (ESX 5.0) should be sufficient.  But in fact juju has a ubuntu.ovf
> hardcoded in it that specifies 'vmx-10', which is ESX 5.5..  I currently
> have 5 ESX 5.1 machines and one 6.0.

To my knowledge, Juju has only been tested with ESXi 5.5 and 6.0. In terms
of hardware support, version 8 seems like it should be sufficient. I'm not
sure about the APIs we're using, but we don't use a lot, so it wouldn't
surprise me if ESXi 5.1 just works.

If you're able to tweak the OVF and build Juju from source, that would be a
great help. Otherwise I will check what we require in terms of APIs when I
return from vacation next week - and try it out and report back. If it
works, then we can look to update the OVF for Juju 2.3.

Even with a custom DC using only the 6.0 host, I have some (probably
> proxy) issues bootstrapping, which I'm sure are surmountable - but the
> answer to Q1 will decide whether it's worth pursuing that further, or
> whether I should spend my time elsewhere :)

Please file a bug if you're still having issues. Juju 2.3 beta 1 is
imminent, so please use that if you can.

Cheers,
Andrew

thanks,