John,

I think having relation scope to depend on both sides and take
min(scope_left, scope_right) is the right approach. After all, it doesn't
restrict other applications from using the same relation (with the same
unique interface name) in a different scope.

I described use-cases here in a generic way (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegraf-charm/+bug/1718259/comments/5) but
telegraf and postgres vs posgres and, say, mediawiki would be a good
example of a practical use-case.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegraf-charm/+bug/1718259/comments/5

I looked at the code that handles that and it seems to go "way back" with
an original intention of having the approach above:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/telegraf-charm/+bug/1718259/comments/2
https://github.com/juju/juju/blame/juju-2.2.4/state/state.go#L1661-L1668
" // If either endpoint has container scope, so must the other;"

The problems to use that are:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1721295 (a unit with a globally-scoped
relation definition tries to read settings where it shouldn't as the other
side is scope:container)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1721289 (change relation scope on
charm upgrade - either go through {-joined, -changed} lifecycle or
{-broken, -departed for some pairs of units)

I agree that it won't be feasible for all use-cases (e.g. where you need to
talk to a master/leader node) but sometimes you only need to talk to a
follower which will contact the master itself (Zookeeper comes to mind) so
it's just another way to model in my view.

Best Regards,
Dmitrii Shcherbakov

Field Software Engineer
IRC (freenode): Dmitrii-Sh