Ok, game plan:

   1. Merge https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/4866. This means
   building julia will download and build libgit2 as a dependency (and
   submodule), but initially we won't be using it for anything.
   2. Modify LibGit2 to use the libgit2 that ships with Julia.
   3. On a branch, port Pkg to use LibGit2, assuming the package is already
   installed. At this point the branch exists in strange state where you have
   to install the LibGit2 package in order to use Pkg – which you can't do
   without Pkg. This state of affairs is transient.
   4. Once it becomes clear what subset of LibGit2 is necessary for Pkg,
   refactor so that that core part of LibGit2 lives in Base, while the LibGit2
   package layers the rest of the LibGit2 interface on top of that bare
   minimum. After these changes, it will no longer be necessary to have
   LibGit2 installed to use Pkg.
   5. Merge the branch, celebrate.

Sound reasonable?