On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Matthias BUSSONNIER <
bussonniermatth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 14 janv. 2014 à 16:57, John Myles White a écrit :
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > I'll have to check that out. I was able to translate some of the
> Wikipedia code fast enough to get something working for my purposes.
> >

> That was more or less what I did,
>
> I just found that trying to consume the minimal memory (n+1) was
> significantly
> slower than using (2n) IIRC.

Just someone curious here.

Assuming two strings of length M and N, we can do the naive edit distance
via dynamic programming,
in O (MN) time and O (MN) space.

However since only last row is used to determine the result, we can save
the space by using O (N) memory,
which is basically 2*N memory.

What I don't understand is, what is this minimal memory (n + 1) you just
mentioned ?