The type of a type would e.g. describe which values are legal as the second
argument of isa.
It turns out that Type almost works. If I do

julia> f(::Any)=false
f (generic function with 1 method)

julia> f(::Type)=true
f (generic function with 2 methods)

Then

julia> f(Int)
true

julia> f((Int,String))
true

julia> f((Int,String,2))
false

julia> [f(T) for T in (UnionType, DataType, TypeVar, TypeConstructor)]'
1x4 Array{Bool,2}:
 true  true  true  true

But it doesn't seem to catch all types:

julia> f((Int,))
false

julia> f(((Int,String),String))
false

julia> f(((Int,String),String,Int))
false

On the other hand, this definition seems to catch all the cases that I
could come up with:

julia> g(::Any)=false
g (generic function with 1 method)

julia> g{T}(::Type{T}) = true
g (generic function with 2 methods)

julia> g((Int,))
true

julia> g(((Int,String),String))
true

It is pretty weird that adding the type parameter makes the method that
returns true more general (I guess that I should file an issue...)

Anyway, if the type of a tuple were <: Type and not <: Tuple, then these
things would not be hairy at all, since you wouldn't have to discern
between tuples that are types and tuples that aren't, and being a type
would behave as plainly as other subtyping relationships.