On Saturday, 25 January 2014 03:49:11 UTC-5, Ivar Nesje wrote:

> It is nice that you raise this issue. I think most of the others working
> with Julia has experience from C or Python which also have the same
> semantics. I'll make an attempt to sum up how things work in this case.

Julia doesn't have the same semantics as Python here, if that's what you're
saying. In Python, += is an operation that types can implement separately
from +, and is usually implemented in-place.

Here's a NumPy example, because NumPy arrays are closest to Julia arrays,
and += on plain old lists is Julia's "append!" instead:

>>> a = np.array([1, 2, 3])
>>> b = a

>>> a += 1

array([2, 3, 4])