I different framing of Kevin's answer could be that it solves your systems
of equations: three systems of one equation in three variables

julia> x=a/b
3x3 Array{Float64,2}:
 0.0519481  0.0649351  0.0779221
 0.103896   0.12987    0.155844
 0.155844   0.194805   0.233766

julia> x*b
3-element Array{Float64,1}:
 1.0
 2.0
 3.0

The solutions are not unique and Julia chooses those with minimum norm.

2014-02-05 Kevin Squire <kevin.squ...@gmail.com>:

> Hello Fil,
>
> Generally, division is like multiplying by the inverse of the divisor.
 For vectors, the inverse is actually a pseudoinverse or generalized
inverse.  In this case,

> a / b = a * pinv(b)
>
> where
>
> julia> pinv(b)
> 1x3 Array{Float64,2}:
>  0.0519481  0.0649351  0.0779221
>
> julia> pinv(b) * b
> 1-element Array{Float64,1}:
>  1.0
>
> julia> a * pinv(b)  # the outer product of a and pinv(b)
> 3x3 Array{Float64,2}:
>  0.0519481  0.0649351  0.0779221
>  0.103896   0.12987    0.155844
>  0.155844   0.194805   0.233766
>
> Cheers!
>    Kevin
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Fil Mackay <f...@vertigotechnology.com>
wrote:

>> Can anyone explain what's going on here? :)
>>
>> julia> a = [1,2,3]
>> 3-element Array{Int64,1}:
>>  1
>>  2
>>  3
>>
>> julia> b = [4,5,6]
>> 3-element Array{Int64,1}:
>>  4
>>  5
>>  6
>>
>> julia> a / b
>> 3x3 Array{Float64,2}:
>>  0.0519481  0.0649351  0.0779221
>>  0.103896   0.12987    0.155844
>>  0.155844   0.194805   0.233766
>>
>> I get the principle of how two vectors (3x) lead to a matrix (3x3)
result - but the actual values are a mystery?

--
Med venlig hilsen

Andreas Noack Jensen