OK, running

push!(DL_LOAD_PATH, "/usr/local/lib/")

has improved the situation a little: now we get this error:

ERROR: ccall: could not find function CVodeCreate in library
libsundials_cvode
 in ode at /home/thomas/.julia/Sundials/src/Sundials.jl:250

At least the shared library is recognised :)

Sundials.CVodeCreate seems to be a generic function, but in Sundials.jl at
line 250 the call to it doesn't seem to be recognised - the error is driven
by this call to it:

 mem = CVodeCreate(CV_BDF, CV_NEWTON)

Any more ideas? :D

Again, a massive thanks! I'm sure this will be useful to others looking for
a nice DAE solver in Julia in the near future :)

Tom