Hi,

I gather this is a often-discussed topic but I've not been able to find a
sufficiently explicit example to get me going. I'm looking to interact with
a C library. I'm able to make simple ccall() calls but in order to set
things up, I need to be able to read from and write to the main data
structure, which is a fairly complicated C struct. This struct has members
who are themselves structs, enums, etc. I only need to access a few of
them, but they are sometimes 2 or 3 levels deep. Is there a good example
out there to look at for inspiration?

Say the main data structure is data. Here are a few example operations I'd
need to do:

* read a scalar value data.x
* read a float array data.y
* read a scalar value data.member.x
* assign a float array to data.y

Some questions relating to defining a Julia type that mirrors the C struct:

* does the Julia type need to mirror all members of the C struct, or only
those I'll access?
* if I don't access a certain member that is itself a pointer to a C
struct, is it safe to pretend it is a void*?

I could write an intermediate C interface, but I was hoping for a pure
Julia solution.

Thanks in advance!