On Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:02:44 PM UTC-4, Stefan Karpinski wrote:

> Making STDIN consistently the default input stream and STDOUT consistently
> the default output stream is right – any inconsistency there is just an
> oversight. Could you open an issue? I don't care for the renaming to readln
> myself. I've often considered the idea that lines should be chomped by
> default but there is something really nice about the fact that you can just
> print all the lines you get and the output is identical to the input.

Oh man, reaction!  I've answered below, also, what do you think of the idea?

##Behavior of readlines

Make issue? sure can;  [like
this?](https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/6511)

##readline vs. readln
Seems like a lot asking for just 2 characters or even talking about it.  It
does make a difference though; It does distinguish Julia from other
languages.  Does it need those 2 letters?  It does feel clearer, but at
what expense?  I'm not sure actually. But consider *JQuery*'s ***$***.
 it's just an alias for ****jquery***; the sole reason for its existence is
so people don't have to type 5 extra letters.  But then, that's 5 letters,
not 2, and it so many people use JQuery, it saves thousands of man-hours.

##readline returning '\n'
It's interesting, but, In my experience so far, this is just cumbersome.
 Almost always you want ***chomp(readline())*** especially in the context
of ***readline*** where the expectation is read a *line* of input where a
*line* is defined as all of those characters delimited by '\n'.  From the
compactness perspective, the *read a line* idiom is an extra function call
***chomp*** and 7 characters more than it would otherwise be if the
situation were reversed.