Hi, I updated to the latest version of julia yesterday and now I encounter
a problem with map.

I have an utf8 file that contains two lines, with a word made of ascii
chars on the first line and with some utf8 chars on the second line. I read
the file  using readlines and try to reverse the strings in the resulting
array, as follows.

$ cat temp
ascii
touché

julia> data = open(readlines, "temp")
2-element Array{Union(UTF8String,ASCIIString),1}:
 "ascii\n"
 "touché\n"

julia> map(reverse, data)
ERROR: invalid ASCII sequence
 in setindex! at array.jl:298
 in map_to! at abstractarray.jl:1255

This was working in a previous version of julia circa january (and probably
still working on 0.2). I am not sure what has changed, map or readlines?
And what are these changes?

Note that everything is fine if I first upgrade the data to the UTF8String
type.

julia> map(reverse, map(utf8, data))
2-element Array{UTF8String,1}:
 "\niicsa"
 "\néhcuot"

but this can't be done directly.

julia> convert(Array(UTF8String,1), data)
ERROR: no method convert(Array{UTF8String,1},
Array{Union(UTF8String,ASCIIString),1})
 in convert at base.jl:13