I use Sublime Text 3 <http://www.sublimetext.com/3>. When authoring code
files you don't get syntax completion on symbols, but sublime text has it's
own "syntax completion" based on words that are already present in the file
(or any other open file) which is different but easy to get used to. The
editor also has some other features that are hard to beat, including
lightning-fast search both on file names and file contents. For example, I
have a project which includes my Julia installation (under /opt/julia on my
Ubuntu system), my ~/.julia folder as well as another folder where I have
some small side-projects. A regex search for [s|g]etindex searches through
over 45k files and returns a list of results almost instantly.

Using a plugin called IJulia <https://github.com/karbarcca/Sublime-IJulia>,
I also get syntax highlighting and an in-editor REPL which you basically
just open like another text file, but it runs Julia code for you. You can
also select some code from a code file and send it to the REPL with a
keyboard shortcut, or send the entire file there. For me, it mitigates much
of the current (however temporary) lack of debugging tools in Julia atm.

ST3 isn't free (it's actually quite expensive...) but there's a
time-unlimited trial version that you can download and start using to get a
feel for it. I definitely recommend checking it out - since I started using
it, it has replaced both gedit, TeXWorks and sometimes even the graphical
environment of MATLAB in my workflow.

// Tomas