Hello colleague,

On Friday, May 9, 2014 11:13:06 PM UTC+2, Steve Kelly wrote:

> I am going to be developing some software for 3D printing. For path
> planning, we will need to use the clipping algorithm.
>
> Graphics.jl mentions a clip function.
> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/blob/master/base/graphics.jl
> Cairo.jl uses the C implementation in Cairo.
>
> i'm not so sure if the call to cairo's clip - which is just a hint to the
internal polygon/tesselation units where to put paint and where not - is
the thing you need (especially as cairo is 2D only). So you probably need
to implement a 3D clipping anyway

> I would like to implement this algorithm natively in Julia. My question to
> the community is whether it be more appropriate to create a new package or
> optionally add the algorithm to Graphics.jl (or another package)?

I think Julia woud benefit of something like a computational geometry pkg
that deal with the basic problems of point/line/polygon/meshes and
inside/outside testing, clipping, intersection.

When i started looking at julia i was missing a inpolygon (matlab basic
command) counterpart. It wasn't there, i implemented a local julia
solution, but never found a place to contribute.

Wishing a happy day,
        Andreas