Yes, when reading data from files, where information about the object is
encoded in the file, "type stability" kinda goes out the window. (We have the
same issue with HDF5, of course.)

So it's not an unreasonable request (although neither is the current
behavior). You might consider giving it a stab yourself and see how people
react to a pull request.

--Tim