> Matlab uses the = version but only allows ranges on the right hand side

Not quite, you can use other "iterables" (not that Matlab has a very formal
definition of the term) in Matlab for loops like arbitrary vectors or cell
arrays or matrices, but it's very particular about looping through by
column. So Matlab's

for i=x

does what you expect if x is a row vector, but only performs one iteration
if x is a column vector, setting i to that entire vector. I suspect this
behavior is closely coupled to the reason ranges in Matlab are created as
row vectors.

And we're all very happy to put these Matlab quirks behind us.