Thanks for sending that along - might go down that route once it's clear
that MKL would do the trick and that the fixed costs of building it myself
are worth it.

Are there other mac users using the pre-built binaries that see these same
performance differences?  Why do the mac binaries report libgfortblas and
liblapack when the windows and Linux binaries report libopenblas?