Dear all,

I thought you might find this paper
interesting: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/~jesusfv/comparison_languages.pdf

It takes a standard model from macro economics and computes it's solution
with an identical algorithm in several languages. Julia is roughly 2.6
times slower than the best C++ executable. I was bit puzzled by the result,
since in the benchmarks on http://julialang.org/, the slowest test is 1.66
times C. I realize that those benchmarks can't cover all possible
situations. That said, I couldn't really find anything unusual in the Julia
code, did some profiling and removed type inference, but still that's as
fast as I got it. That's not to say that I'm disappointed, I still think
this is great. Did I miss something obvious here or is there something
specific to this algorithm?

The codes are on github at

https://github.com/jesusfv/Comparison-Programming-Languages-Economics