Great suggestions/discussion everyone. I think without a stronger vote of
confidence in the idea there isn't much reason to proceed.

Re: svaksha's list, it is good, and I'd be curious how much traffic it
gets. Its kinda chaotic though and has some errors, mainly because its
pretty hard to be an expert in everything (and thus able to describe and
categorize them). Plus there is the whole problem of the many pieces of
code that get mentioned on the list but are unmaintained - testing related
packages being my personal favourite.

I've got some ideas for changes to pkg.julialang.org that would raise the
prominence of organizations, who I think should be the ones leading
discoverability of the packages in their realm as they know their area
best. I'm also thinking of more ways to indicate package
"quality"/development level for integration in the UI (see the Github stars
I added recently). I'm going to collect a bunch of metrics and mash them
together - we can then discuss the weightings.

Hans: understandable you wouldn't have heard about CVX.jl yet, its not
ready for public consumption. Should be ready by end of summer, at least a
first pass. As for BlackBoxOptim, I'm not sure if you are implying some
effort by myself or others to exclude it from JuliaOpt or METADATA, but
that isn't the case - the author just hasn't done the work to list it. I've
just reached out to him again, but if you are interested in it, then you
should help out - this is open source after all, and we are all busy with
other things.