Hi,

I gave a 4-hour Julia tutorial at the SciPy 2014 meeting in Austin a couple
of days ago.

The video is now available online at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkgEddb4-A

The IJulia notebooks are available at

https://github.com/dpsanders/scipy_2014_julia

Due to the nature of the audience, the tutorial was aimed at people with
experience of scientific Python, so it skates over those things that are
similar to Python. But it tried to cover all the basics of the Julia
syntax, and a touch of internals, and why Julia is interesting for that
audience.

I would like to develop this first attempt into a basic interactive Julia
tutorial, which I feel has been rather missing until now. (Douglas Bates
has a recent one aimed at a different community.)

I do feel that the notebook format is the right fit for these kinds of
tutorials.
Incidentally, Fernando PĂ©rez announced at the SciPy meeting that the
IPython Notebook interface will be renamed to Jupyter to emphasise language
agnosticism; the "Ju" comes from Julia ;)  So we should start calling them
Jupyter notebooks, instead of IPython or IJulia

I would be very happy to receive pull requests and/or to separate this out
into a separate repo if people would like to do some kind of crowd
development.

Thanks to Daniel Jones for pointing out that the tutorial was now online.

David.