Implementation details can make a very big difference in the performance of
Julia code.  You can see some considerations at
http://docs.julialang.org/en/latest/manual/performance-tips/.

Also, if you post your test code, perhaps as a Gist, that will make it
easier for folks to provide useful feedback.
cheers,
Keith