I think you're assuming people's beliefs about programming languages are
simpler to modify than they've proven to be in our experience.

Here's an experiment you could try to see if I'm right: over the course of six
months, reply to every e-mail you see on julia-users that derives from a
misunderstanding of the manual.

My hypothesis is that you'll find very early on in your experiment that short
notes in the manual are almost never sufficient to prevent confusion. For
example, there are many different notes in the manual about why you shouldn't
do any programming in the global scope, but we get e-mails about performance in
the global scope at least once a week from users that haven't understood that
section of the manual.

I contend that the name Float would have a similar effect.

 -- John