I believe the following should work, provided you have github ssh keys
configured (which seems to be the case):

git config --global url."ssh://".insteadOf git://

If you have a chance to test the above and it works, then we could add it
as another suggestion to the README (especially for hpc and similar
environments with tricky network configs). Temporarily renaming your
~/.julia folder is a safe way to do such a test.