I could (and probably will, someday) revive that commit. At the time,
though, I seemed to find that it provided little performance benefit -- the
gc cost of allocating boxes was far greater (for type uncertainty involving
bitstypes) and the type dispatch wasn't as much of a performance impact as
I had previously assumed.