I think this is broken again: I'm observing single-threaded failures (i.e.,
the last line of the sample code fails when the addprocs(8) line is not
commented out) on both a somewhat recent OS X home-brew build and also the
current --HEAD home-brew build right now.  I am using the standard 64-bit
openblas, arpack, and suite-sparse from @staticfloat's home-brew setup
(i.e., compiled without the --HEAD option).  If it helps, here is my
versioninfo():

*julia> **versioninfo()*

Julia Version 0.4.0-prerelease+52

Commit daa3f82* (2014-08-12 03:33 UTC)

Platform Info:

  System: Darwin (x86_64-apple-darwin13.3.0)

  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4578U CPU @ 3.00GHz

  WORD_SIZE: 64

  BLAS: libopenblas (USE64BITINT NO_AFFINITY)

  LAPACK: libopenblas

  LIBM: libopenlibm

  LLVM: libLLVM-3.3

-thom