I like raw loops sometimes, vectorization other times. Both work fine.
Synthetic benchmarks suck for producing insight or for helping performance
for 90%+ of the code you write.

The real principle should be: write it however you damn well please, then
if its not fast enough, look at why. Then optimize.

You can follow this principle in Python/MATLAB/R, but if something is too
slow you only have one resort: use a different language to speed up that
part).

Julia beats the competition because, if you desire, you can get down to
C-like performance without any such shenanigans.

I feel like this always gets lost in these sorts of discussions.

/rant