I just found this interesting article about garbage collection:

http://people.cs.umass.edu/~emery/pubs/gcvsmalloc.pdf

Turns out GC can significantly affect performance when memory available is
< ~3X the needed memory (for e.g. because a GC touches more memory pages
relative to manual handling it can trigger more caching)

So maybe such a benchamrk, which checks how much available memory there is
and then use say 75% of it, would be very useful. I don't believe there is
such benchmark now, am I right?

of course, maybe just allocating all the needed memory at start would solve
the problem (if any). The benchamrk would have to be written in a natural,
Julian way, just like the non-vectorized benchamrks for the other
languages. The purpose would be to reveal useful performance information,
for e.g. to understand if indeed allocating everything up-front is really
needed....

Maybe I'll write these myself. Just sharing some thoughts :)